UNIVERSITY COLLEGE OF LAW -- Osmania University
(Accredited With the Highest Rating of FIVE STARS by NAAC)
The Faculty of Law, Osmania University has a glorious history of more than 100 years.
The Law class was opened in the year 1899 to give instruction in law to students desirous of legal profession along with “Judicial Test” classes for Judicial Officers. Thus teaching of Law was in existence even before Osmania University came into existence in the year 1919.
In the year 1923 the law class and “Judicial Test” classes were abolished and Law Department was constituted in the Osmania University at the Arts College with a Head and two teachers, who were supported by the part-time lecturers to cope up with the teaching work. The University made successful experiment of teaching law in vernacular language, namely, Urdu. At that time Urdu was court language too. The Translation Bureau translated all the leading textbooks into Urdu.
From 1923 to 1934 there was only five papers for both the years. But in 1935 one paper each was added to both the years. The classes were held in the morning. Hardly there were hundred students in both years put together.
In 1942, LL.M. course was introduced with Comparative Jurisprudence and Comparative Constitutional Law as compulsory subjects with an option to choose either International Law or Conflict of Laws and Muslim Law or Hindu Law. Students of LL.M. had to submit a thesis on a subject studied by them in LL.B. and LL.M. In view of heavy demand for admission to Law course, the Law Department of the Arts College has been elevated into a full-fledged Law College in the year 1950 and shifted to Saifabad Science College in the city. The Law College used to function in the even from 6.00 to 8.30 p.m. and the medium of instruction was changed to English. In 1954 the college was shifted from Saifabad Science College ofChadarghat College building situated at Tilak Road, Hyderabad. Due to lack of accommodation, a morning session in 1956 was started in the same building for the convenience of the students.
From 1942 to 1958 students of LL.M. had no choice of subject, as all subjects were compulsory except the choice between Hindu Law and Muslim Law. In 1958 LL.M. syllabus was revised and another branch viz., Constitutional and International Law was opened. Within few years, Personal Laws branch was added.
In 1966, Mercantile Law was also introduced. In 1958 University Grants Commission sanctioned Rs.8 lakhs for constructing Law College Building. Law College Building was constructed in the Campus and Morning session of the Law College was shifted to the new Building.
Justice P.Jagan Mohan Reddy, the then Dean, Faculty of Law took active interest inestablishing the institution. The University College of Law was inaugurated in 1960 by the then Chief Justice of India Sri B.P.Sinha. Prof.G.C.V.Subba Rao was the first Principal of the College. The LL.M.Courses were shifted to the University College of Law in the same year. Four branches of LL.M. i.e., Jurisprudence, Constitutional Law and international Law, Personal law and Mercantile Law were offered by the College. Subsequently some of the branches of LL.M. were shifted to Evening College of Law.
IN 1977 all the LL.M. courses were shifted to the Evening College of Law. Again in 1994, three branches viz. Constitutional, Mercantile Law and Labour Law in LL.M. Course have been reintroduced in the University College of Law, O.U.
At present, the sanctioned strength in LL.B. is 160 seats. The Faculty of Law introduced the Ph.D. Programme and first batch of Ph.D. students was registered in the year 1978.
The Ph.D. Programme is offered on regular and part-time basis.
The college has produced many luminaries in different fields. There have been several Judges of the Supreme Court and various High Courts, Chief Ministers and Ministers, Civil Servants, Governors, Speakers and Ambassadors and leading Lawyers among the alumni of this institution. They include Justice P.Jaganmohan Reddy, Justice Shah Mohammed Quadri, Justice B.P.Jeevan Reddy, Justice Sardar Ali Khan, Justice Y.Bhaskar Rao, Justice B.Subhashan Reddy, Justice B.Sudarshan Reddy, Justice G.Bikshapathi, Justice L.Narasimha Reddy, R.Vasudeava Pillai, P.C.Rao, B.C.Jain, S.B.Chavan, Virendra Patil, Shiv Raj Patil, Shivaji Rao Patil Nilangekar, V.S.Rama Devi, Sripada Rao, Ch.Vidyasagar Rao and Dharam Singh. This list is only illustrative in nature. This college has the distinction of being rated asone of the top ten law colleges in the entire country for two successive years viz., in 2000 and 2001 by India Today Magazine.
Vision and Mission of the Institution
To make this institution as a premier institution and the best among not only the traditional law colleges but also among the corporate law colleges.
To produce students who become true legal professionals and who will contribute to the profession, community and the nation as a whole.
To make the students leaders in their chosen profession with a sense of commitment, social responsibility, and highest moral fibre.
To achieve excellence in teaching and research in the field of law and other related disciplines
To inculcate a sense of true professionalism among the students and make them self-reliant
To ensure capacity building and character building among the students and scholars
To help within the institutional limits the students coming from different background to realize their own potential and to enable them to compete with the best in the society
To identify, document, disseminate and facilitate the protection of knowledge , particularly the traditional and indigenous knowledge
To create a placement cell to provide good employment and placement to all the deserving students successfully completing their degree
To form an alumni association consisting of eminent alumnus to help them and the institution grow together.
To foster a close working relationship between the academia, judiciary, legal professionals and the government for the betterment of the society;
To make every effort to establish this institution socially relevant and professionally competent.